Updated: Apr 5, 2022
Sometimes just getting up and down can be hard. We have lots of solutions to ensure safety and help people remain safe in their homes as long as possible. There are some simple gadgets to help lock doors, ramps to assist with getting out, and many ways/ideas to help people get out to their doctor's visits. Read on for more details!
How can I let someone in the house easily?
Rushing anywhere, especially to the door every time someone comes can cause a person to fall. Here are a few ideas to help with this.
1. You can have a keycode lock on the door that way all trusted people can enter the code to unlock the door.
2. Install a remote control entry lock that is like a garage door opener. The person can just hit the button to lock/unlock the door from up to 100 feet away. This is great for clients without wifi in the home.
3. Install a wifi-enabled lock. This works great if wifi and a cell phone are in use because it can work from anywhere which is helpful for a loved one caring for an elder that does not live with them!
What are transportation options for seniors?
Getting your clients to come to doctor's appointments and other services can be a real barrier to proper care. Refer your clients to some of these:
1. Jewish Family Services' JET Express works within the Kansas City metro.
2. The OATS Bus is usually available
everywhere in the greater metro that does
not have a Kansas City address.
3. The Lyft app has an option for healthcare appointments and you can request cars that carry wheelchairs if needed!
4. Guardian Medical Transportation helps transport people in the Wichita area.
The Ride In Sight Organization has made a list of options by zip code. Check them out here!
How do I get a wheelchair in the house?
It can be difficult and unsafe to push a walker or a wheelchair over thresholds, depending on who is doing it. Your clients or loved ones may be able to navigate in their home but struggle with getting the walker or wheelchair over thresholds in order to get out - even if there are no stairs.
Simple, portable threshold ramps are a great gadget help make a smoother transition for people to get out to their back porch to enjoy a nice day (which we are all looking forward to) or just out the door for an appointment.
How can I connect safely with a senior during COVID?
People with limited mobility can feel isolated and alone at times. Some good ways you can recommend that family and friends interact with them without having to go out are:
1. Share music with them
2. Eat a meal with them and make it a weekly date
3. Bring young children to visit and have them play a game or help them do something around the home
4. Read aloud to them
5. Reminisce over photos or past experiences.
Proud to be your aging in place resource in Kansas City and Wichita for wheelchair ramps, shower chairs, and everything in between!