Updated: Jan 25
Happy Monday! We are talking about safety in two of the most important and most used places in the house! Your kitchen and bathroom are two key rooms that need to be both accessible and promote safety to help with aging in place successfully.
When remodeling the kitchen especially for someone in a wheelchair there are a few things to keep in mind.
1. Sink - There needs to be room under the sink and stovetop for the legs of the wheelchair user to go for easy access. If space is filled with cabinets it makes it difficult to wash dishes and cook because the wheelchair must be turned to the side to reach more easily.
2. Stove/Oven - Make sure the control knobs for the stove/oven are upfront so they can be easily reached.
3. Microwave - The microwave and at least one counter need to be at an appropriate height to easily access while seated. Help me brainstorm more ideas
Bathroom remodels can be very expensive and you want to make sure if you invest in one it will be worthwhile. AccessAble Living can help you plan either way by deciding what simple things can be done right now such as having grab bars installed or by creating a detailed plan for a remodel with all the safety features built-in! Click here for more ideas
There are a few things to you can use to assist with hygiene after using the bathroom. A bidet is one thing that can help, by giving a good spray to get clean. There are also toilet wands that extend one's reach so wiping is easier. Another very simple option is using flushable wipes to assist with cleaning and help prevent infection. See how a bidet works
Simple Things to Do in the Kitchen
Here are a few simple ideas to make your kitchen easier to access.
1. Keep your most used items at counter height.
2. Move your microwave to the countertop.
3. Use electric appliances.
4. Make sure items stored in the cabinets are kept where you can easily reach.
5. Invest in pull out shelves (pictured). I need more help
Proud to be your aging in place resource in Kansas City and Wichita for wheelchair ramps, shower chairs and everything in between!